Veronica spicata ‘Spitzenstraum’
Showy rich, sky-blue blooms shoot up on spires to 60cm in Summer. Veronica spicata ‘Spitzenstraum’ SPEEDWELL loves full sun or part shade. It is one tough plant shrugging off frost, heat and a range of conditions. Furthermore it has a low water need once established. The genus name honors Saint Veronica, who reportedly gave a handkerchief to Jesus so he could wipe sweat from his face on the way to the Cross. Some plants within the genus even have markings that resemble the markings on the sacred handkerchief.
A plant that is well suited to a range of situations including rockeries, as well as mixed flowering garden beds. Veronica spicata ‘Spitzenstraum’ SPEEDWELL is also perfect as an edging plant or between taller shrubs or roses.
A tough performer
This reliable beauty shrugs off frost, and will grow quite happily in dry and arid conditions. Resulting in a great water saving option. Easy to grow, requiring very low care and is fairly pest and disease-free.
Growing: Veronica spicata ‘Spitzenstraum’
– Height with flowers: 60cm approx.
– Width: 45cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun to Partial Shade
– Soil: It Prefers moist yet well drained soils. However it will tolerate a range of dry and arid conditions.
Reliable and beneficial for wildlife
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Very Hardy.
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: Butterflies and other beneficial pollinators. Veronica spicata became a protected species in the UK in 1975 under the Conservation of Wild Creatures and Wild Plants Act.
Easy, low maintenance
– Care: An easy care and low maintenance plant that will benefit from a prune when last frost has passed. In addition it will enjoy a fertilise in early spring but isn’t necessary.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Known to be left alone by these nibbling enemies. It is pretty pest free in general.
– Origin: Native to Europe and also central and eastern Asia.