Very pale blue almost white flower spikes opening in spring and early summer. Flowering stems rise from the rosettes topped with white cup-shaped flowers tinged with blue in late spring to early summer. Veronica gentianoides GENTIAN SPEEDWELL is a matt forming perennial with glossy, basal leaves. Genus name honors Saint Veronica, who reportedly gave a handkerchief to Jesus so he could wipe sweat from his face on the way to the Cross. Some plants within the genus even have markings that resemble the markings on the sacred handkerchief.
A plant that is well suited to a range of situations including rockeries, as well as mixed flowering garden beds. Also perfect as an edging plant or between taller shrubs or roses.
A tough performer
Veronica gentianoides GENTIAN SPEEDWELL is a reliable beauty that shrugs off frost, and will grow quite happily in dry and arid conditions. Resulting in a great water saving option. Easy to grow, requiring very low care and is fairly pest and disease-free.
Growing: Veronica gentianoides
– Height with flowers: 45cm approx.
– Width: 45cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun to Partial Shade
– Soil: It prefers moist yet well drained soils. However it a versatile plant and will tolerate a range of dry and arid conditions.
Reliable and beneficial for wildlife
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: A very frost hardy option.
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: Butterflies and also other beneficial pollinators.
Easy, low maintenance
– Care: An easy care and low maintenance plant that will benefit from a prune when last frost has passed. In addition it will enjoy a fertilise in early spring but isn’t necessary.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Known to be left alone by these nibbling enemies. It is pretty pest free in general.
– Origin: Native from Europe to Turkey and also central and eastern Asia.