Veronica austriaca ssp. teucrium ‘Royal Blue’
Growing to just 15cm tall, this tough performer will form a hardy carpet. In addition in late Spring and Summer, long racemes of tiny, deep blue flowers rise from the matt of mid-green foliage. Veronica austriaca ssp. teucrium enjoys a sunny spot in the garden growing.
A plant that is well suited to a range of situations including rockeries, as well as mixed flowering garden beds. Also perfect as an edging plant or between taller shrubs or roses. The genus name of Veronica austriaca ssp. teucrium honors Saint Veronica, who reportedly gave a handkerchief to Jesus so he could wipe sweat from his face on the way to the Cross. Some plants within the genus even have markings that resemble the markings on the sacred handkerchief.
A tough performer
This reliable beauty shrugs off frost, and will grow quite happily in dry and arid conditions. Resulting in a great water saving option. Easy to grow, requiring very low care and is fairly pest and disease-free.
Growing: Veronica austriaca ssp. teucrium ‘Royal Blue’
– Height with flowers: 15cm approx.
– Width: 25cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun to Partial Shade
– Soil: Prefers moist yet well drained soils. However it will tolerate a range of dry and arid conditions.
Reliable and beneficial for wildlife
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Very Hardy.
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: They attract a wide range of native bees, Butterflies, as well as nectar-feeding birds.
Easy, low maintenance
– Care: An easy care and low maintenance plant that will benefit from a prune when last frost has passed. In addition it will enjoy a fertilise in early spring but isn’t necessary.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Known to be left alone by these nibbling enemies. It is pretty pest free in general.
– Origin: It is native to Europe and eastern Asia.