A rare beauty with Cerise buds that open into white-pale blue blooms. Held on stems around 45cm above its deep strappy foliage. Tradescantia ‘Electrickery’ enjoys a position from Deep Shade to Partial Sun but will not tolerate afternoon Sun very well.
Showy and Tough
It’s clear that these plants love moisture, however they are actually very tolerant of dry conditions once established. An all round easy to grow plant, ‘Electrickery’ likes Deep Shade to Partial Shade and happy in Dry Shade too. Each flower only lasts for one day, but the plants have lots of buds to bloom, extending the flowering time up to eight weeks. The flowers are self-cleaning, so deadheading is not necessary.
Growing: Tradescantia ‘Electrickery’
– Height with flowers: 45cm approx.
– Width: 20cm approx.
– Position: Deep Shade and can also grow happily in Dappled Sun but must avoid afternoon Sun.
– Soil: Tradescantia is adaptable to many types of soil as long as it is moist and well-drained.
– Fragrance: None, however the eye-popping contrast makes up for that.
– Frost: Hardy.
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: Butterflies, Bees as well as Birds and other pollinators.
– Care: Don’t let plant get too dry, especially in winter. Mulch or regular watering is best. Tradescantia thrive in humidity and they love a regular misting and will grow easily without much maintenance in a moist positioning.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Not first choice for these pests but they might have a nibble.
– Origin: Native to South America.