Salvia x superba ‘Merleau Rose’
Beautiful true pink spires that bloom in Summer to 35cm. Salvia x superba ‘Merleau Rose’ Likes full sun or part shade and also copes well in dry areas, once established.
Growing: Salvia x superba ‘Merleau Rose’
– Height with flowers: 35cm. approx.
– Width: 45cm diameter.
– Position: Full Sun although it will do well in light Partial Shade, as long as it is not damp and airless. They prefer at least a half day of sun. Suitable for coastal gardens.
– Soil: Soils on either the acidic or alkaline lime side of neutral will suit unfussy Salvia x superba. It tolerates soils of all types, including sandy, rocky, gravel soils, and even clay, as long as drainage is good.
– Frost: Very hardy even in severe frosts to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen Perennial.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees, native honey-eating birds. butterflies and other useful pollinators, regard the mass of flowers as one giant smorgasbord of nectar and pollen.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Salvia x superba has aromatic leaves, rich in essential oils. Happily rabbits and deer don’t like the taste, so the plant is not on their preferred menu. Salvia x superba can be recommended for gardeners who are plagued by nibbling pests.
– Care: Very low maintenance, as the only work possibly required is to prune to the base after each flowering. And this is no hardship as you know the reward is another crop of flowers even more quickly, in approximately four to five weeks.
– Origin: Central and South America, Eastern Asia, Central Asia and Mediterranean.