Potentilla thurberi ‘Monarch’s Velvet’
Surely one of the most attractive of all the garden Potentilla. Flowering for a long period, massed heads of velvety, deep raspberry red shade to crimson-black in the centre. It is upright in growth rather than of ground-cover habit. The bright crinkled, green, strawberry like foliage makes a perfect foil for the regal flowers. Potentilla thurberi ‘Monarch’s Velvet’ SCARLET CINQUEFOIL repeat flowers if cut back regularly.
Versatile and useful
Potentilla’s are very versatile in a range of landscapes and situations and as a result are a very popular plant. They are tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions. Withstanding drought as well as air pollution, and salt air, this makes it ideal for urban environments and beachfront locations. They are also a great addition to a rock garden or in a container. The flowers are an important food source for butterflies and also other pollinating insects.
Choice companion plant
An excellent choice for planting under roses and shrubbery. Very easy and generally pest and disease free. Enjoys full sun to part shade, in neutral to slightly acid soil that is humus rich and well drained.
Growing: Potentilla thurberi ‘Monarch’s Velvet’
– Height with flowers: 60cm approx.
– Width: 50cm approx.
– Position: Full sun or Partial shade
– Soil: Well drained and very adaptive also tolerates acidic soil.
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Perennial
– Attracts: Bees as well as other beneficial pollinators.
– Care: Easy and low care. Trim back hard after flowering to create fresh new leaves.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Not first choice for nibbling pests.
– Origin: The species “Thurberi” is native to rich conifer forests, stream banks and wet meadows in Arizona, New Mexico and also northern Mexico. Cinquefoils have grown naturally and wild throughout most cool and cold regions of the world. With most of its species being herbaceous perennials but a few are erect or creeping shrubs.