Gives a delightful show through summer and into autumn with a mass of flowers. The overall effect is lovely with fine flowers of mauve showing white lips and throats, and fringed edges. Although each flower is small, their massed mauve blooms on 45cm. Burgundy stems, above wine flushed foliage, is exceptionally pretty. Penstemon smallii SMALL’S BEARDTONGUE Thrives in soil that is not too rich, and they are very happy in stony, well drained areas. Happy in Sun but probably prefers the Dappled Shade under deciduous trees. Will tolerate humidity. Frost hardy. Easy going plant that sweetly stars.
Growing: Penstemon smallii
– Height with flowers: 45cm approx.
– Width: 20cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun or places where you get sunlight for at least 5 to 7 hours a day.
– Soil: Well drained and moist soil.
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Hardy.
– Growth: Perennial.
– Attracts: Bees and Birds.
– Care: Cut back spent flower heads to encourage fresh, repeat flowering.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Usually not first choice for these pests.
– Origin: Native to North America.