Penstemon ‘Midnight’ BEARDTONGUE –
Rich dark mauve with burgundy & white throat markings. Large flowers in full spires, that make a telling impression growing to 60cm. Penstemon ‘Midnight’ BEARDTONGUE is frost hardy and it enjoys Sun or Partial Shade.
Hardy no fuss in poor sites
Penstemon ‘Midnight’ BEARDTONGUE is very suitable for a range of garden conditions, as it enjoys arid soils and shrugs off windy sites.
Similarly it thrives in gardens with sandy, rocky, gravel or poor soil.
Very low maintenance
The only task could possibly be to trim off spent flower stems if you wish, but these usually just disappear away themselves.
It is not particularly plagued by any pests or diseases.
– Height with flowers: 60cm approx.
– Width: 45cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun as well as Partial Shade.
– Soil: Well drained but moist soil.
– Fragrance: None but the showy blooms make up for that.
– Frost: Hardy.
– Growth: Perennial.
– Attracts: Birds, bees and also other beneficial pollinators.
– Care: Cut back spent flower heads to encourage fresh, repeat flowering. Additionally cut back hard after flowering has finished.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Usually not first choice for these pests.
– Origin: Native to North America.