Papaver orientale plena ‘May Queen’
Huge double soft orange flowers from silvery buds, make Papaver orientale plena ‘May Queen’ both stunning and unusual
Huge double soft orange flowers
‘May Queen’ is vigorous and free flowering. Plus one of the first of the oriental poppies to flower in early summer.
Dry & frost hardy
Papavers are a great water saving option because they require very little water to get going and next to none once established.
Tough, reliable performer
An ideal plant for hot spots and rock gardens. Oriental poppies grow a mound of leaves that are hairy and finely dissected in spring. It can also be grown in a container or as a perennial pot plant.
Growing: Papaver orientale plena ‘May Queen’
– Height with flowers: 75cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Grows best in Full sun, can also tolerate Partial shade.
– Soil: Will tolerate dry conditions and a range of soils but must be well drained.
– Fragrance: Scented flowers.
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Herbaceous Perennial.
– Attracts: Birds, bees as well as other beneficial insects to the garden.
– Care: Easy and low care. Although should dead head spent flowers regularly because this will promote new fresh blooms and growth.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Known to be a good rabbit and deer resistant option.
– Origin: Native to the Caucasus, North-eastern Turkey, and Northern Iran.