Spikes of scented, creamy-white flower heads in winter and spring. Looser, longer flower heads, scatter like snowflakes across the ground, scenting the cold air in late winter and early spring. Glossy emerald green leaves make a dense, thick, weed suppressing carpet 10cm. high under trees and shrubs. Pachysandra axillaris CHINESE SPURGE Thrives in Deep Shade, Full Shade, Dappled Light.
Easy to grow & care for
Once new growth shoots mature, the previous season’s growth disappears. Pachysandra axillaris CHINESE SPURGE is very easy to enjoy without the need to prune or shape as well as not requiring any feed, just a moist but well drained spot in the Shade. Additionally they are Frost hardy and can tolerate some dry shade conditions once established.
Growing: Pachysandra axillaris
– Height with flowers: 15cm approx.
– Width: 20cm approx.
– Position: Partial Shade as well as Deep Shade.
– Soil: Will tolerate a range of soil conditions but must be well drained. Pachysandra are acid-loving plants and will grow best in the 4.0 – 4.5 region on the PH scale.
– Fragrance: Scented Blooms
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Evergreen Perennial
– Attracts: Bees as well as all types of beneficial pollinators.
– Care: Easy to grow and very little maintenance required. Pachysandra aren’t heavy feeders and only require a tidy up of old growth but basically no pruning. However young plants will benefit from an annual feeding in early spring with a slow-release shrub & tree type fertilizer or organic compost addition.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Left alone by nibbling pests because they find the growth unpalatable.
– Origin: Native to China.