Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’
Rich purple pink flowers nestle amongst darker bracts on Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’.
So this creates an intense colour highlight for hot and dry gardens over summer and autumn.
Tough & drought resistant
Because she is also tough, hardy, drought resistant and water-wise, ‘Burnside Beauty’ is a perfect choice for low maintenance gardeners. Or for those that have difficult conditions.
Useful in the vase & kitchen
Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’ also provides excellent cut flowers for your vase.
In addition the foliage can be used in cooking and pot pourri.
Good companion plant
Plant ‘Burnside Beauty’ near your veggies and fruit, as it attracts bees and other useful pollinators. And helps ensure the set of your crops.
Growing: Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’
– Height with flowers: Long blooming over summer and autumn, on strong stems to 35cm. high approx.
– Width: Leafy, dense clump to a diameter of 30-40cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun is ideal, as this brings out the flavour and aroma of the oils, and makes for a strong, upright plant.
So ‘Burnside Beauty’ relishes being grown on the dry side. Because she hates humidity and loves it dry. She also thrives in heat and wind, where those strong, upright stems come in handy.
Hardy & water-saving
– Soil: Origanum is unfussy and easily pleased with soil.
It is perfectly happy in a range of soils. Including sandy, rocky, gravel, and poor soils to average garden loam.
However Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’ does not enjoy heavy clay, and absolutely demands to be well drained.
She enjoys lime and alkaline soils, and is therefore suitable for gardens on limestone country or alkaline coastal soils. Otherwise feed your plant with a handful of lime in both spring and autumn.
– Water-wise: Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’ is a very water-wise, heat and drought resistant plant.
So it is an ideal selection for gardens with dry, hot, windy, coastal, or poor soil conditions.
It relishes hard going, and just becomes more fragrant in trying conditions.
Useful & fragrant
– Fragrance: The foliage is beautifully aromatic with the herby scent of Marjoram.
– Frost: Very frost hardy, and able to withstand even severe frosts down to -20C.
– Growth: ‘Burnside Beauty’ is an upright, evergreen perennial clump.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees and butterflies find the massed flower heads of Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’ absolutely irresistible.
So it is very useful for attracting pollinators into the vegetable and fruit garden.
Easy low maintenance
– Care: Very easy care and virtually maintenance free.
Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’ is largely untouched by pests and diseases.
The only work is to shear the clump back hard after the long season of blooming. So this creates more flowers on fresh growth.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Rabbits and deer steer clear. Because they do not like the Marjorum like taste of the aromatic foliage.
– Origin: We have that consummate plantsman David Glenn to thank for Origanum ‘Burnside Beauty’. Because it was a chance seedling that popped up in his “Dry Garden”. But he had the keen eye not to weed it out. David believes it to be an accidental cross by the bees between Origanum ‘Rosenkuppel’ and O. ‘Hopleys’. Both are beautiful parents, so their accidental child is also a special charmer, with exceptional colour.