(Also known as: Dame’s rocket, Damask-violet, Queen’s gilliflower, Mother-of-the-evening and more..)
Showy blooms in early to mid spring. Violet and white, simple, four-petalled flowers. Its leaves become smaller as they rise up the stem which really makes the flowers pop! The dainty blooms have a heavenly scent. The seedpods are up to 10cm long and curve upwards.
Growing: Hesperis matronalis
– Height with flowers: 80cm approx.
– Width: 60cm approx.
– Position: F
– Soil: Will tolerate a range of soil conditions but must be well drained.
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Biennial or short lived Perennial
– Attracts: B
– Care: Easy and low maintenance.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: N
– Origin: Native to Eurasia but has also naturalised in North America.