Geranium pyrenaicum ‘Summer Snow’
Long blooming cloud of snow white
Geranium pyrenaicum ‘Summer Snow’ covers itself with a cloud of snow white blooms for months on end.
So although each individual flower is small, there is such a mass of them, it becomes a mist of white from mid-Spring to Autumn’s end.
Tough groundcover for tough spots
Ideal for drier or hot spots in the garden, this tough but attractive plant is an excellent ground cover for difficult conditions.
So you can plant ‘Summer Sky’ in positions from Full Sun to 1/2 Shade, and it will form a low carpet of soft, sage green foliage.
Consequently the ground is carpeted all year round, and that cloud of white blooms hovers for many months.
(Please see “Growing” section below for details of how to grow)
Geranium pyrenaicum ‘Summer Snow’ won’t fade away if you forget to water, and will self-sow to fill in any bare spots for you.
‘Summer Sky’ is also tolerant of periods of drought and resistant to heat, once established
Because ‘Summer Sky’ comes true from seed, you will always have some little ones to move around or share.
Graceful draping plant
‘Summer Snow’ is ideal for decorative containers and for spilling down over rock edges, because of its graceful, trailing habit.
So it is a fine choice for such feature positions, because of dense evergreen growth; attractive velvety foliage; and that exceptionally long blooming period. As well as excellent heat tolerance.
Handy little ‘Summer Snow’ is slug resistant but will attract bees and butterflies to your garden.
Growing: Geranium pyrenaicum ‘Summer Snow’
– Height with flowers: 30cm approx. as the flowers float above the flat foliage carpet.
– Width: Groundcover to diameter of 60cm approx. for each plant.
– Position: Partial Shade to Full Sun.
– Soil: Will tolerate a wide range of soil conditions from sandy to clay, from acid pH to alkaline lime soils. ‘Summer Sky’ is tough and adaptable. However good drainage is essential, as the plant hugs the ground so closely. In heavier clay soils, tuck a mulch of gravel under the foliage. Thrives with lime, and enjoys sandy, gravel, rocky or poor soils.
– Fragrance: Foliage is freshly aromatic with the scent of geranium oil.
– Frost: Very frost hardy, even in severe frost to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen perennial groundcover forming a low, dense, spilling carpet.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees and butterflies love the pollen rich flowers, and the profuse and long blooming means the food store is always open for them..
– Care: Easy care and low maintenance. Little work is ever required.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Rabbit and deer resistant as they dislike the taste of the aromatic oils in the leaves and stems.
– Origin: The botanical name ‘pyrenaicum’ gives the game away. These attractive Geraniums are native to the Pyrenees region, between France and Spain. Hence their ability to withstand periods of heat, dry, and hard frost, as they experience tough conditions regularly in their native habitat.