“Aromatic Cranesbills” are the most charming of plants. Wonderful aromatic foliage in neat, glossy clumps. Topped by butterflies of white, backed with pink. Long flowering with blooms repeating in spring, summer & autumn. Decoratively shaped velvety leaves that are evergreen, but colour to vivid shades of burgundy & crimson during autumn & winter. Of an easy going nature, happily grow in sun or shade, and are remarkably hardy in deep or dry shade. Ideal as carpets under roses, shrubs and trees. Deliciously aromatic leaves from which Geranium oil for perfumes is made. Grows to 30cm and Frost hardy.
Growing: Geranium macrorrhizum
– Height with flowers: 20cm approx.
– Width: 30cm approx.
– Position: Full sun, can tolerate Partial shade.
– Soil: Well drained, Will enjoy most soils as long as it isn’t frequently wet.
– Fragrance: Scented foliage.
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Perennial.
– Attracts: Another pollinator friendly plant, attracting birds, bees and other beneficial insects to the garden.
– Care: Prefers deep watering and drying out between waters (avoid over-head).
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Geraniums have a slight scent that smells nice to us but isn’t appetising to deer or rabbits.