Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’
Months of deep red, unfading flowers
Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’ is the most prolific of bloomers, giving a vibrant, unfading show from early summer right through to autumn’s end..
So a blanket of rich red blooms, each sporting a dramatic deep red central cone, covers ‘Mesa Red’ for months.
Because it has exceptional hardiness; added to excellent flower production; plus long lasting cut flowers – it is no surprise that Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’ has won multiple awards as an “all round performer.”
There are months of deep red daisies from this prolific blooming, colourful, water-wise hardy groundcover Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’ BLANKET FLOWER
Neat blankets of colour
Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’ Blanket Flower is well named as a “Blanket Flower”.
Indeed it does grow as a tight blanket of foliage and flower, that remains so neat and compact as it covers the ground.
So no sprawling about like some of its more unruly, older cousins.
Because is an unstoppable bloomer, and even the fluffy seed heads are an attraction, ‘Mesa Red’ is always a colourful blanket.
Waterwise & hardy Groundcover
Gaillardia bask in a Full Sun position.
Plus they are very water-wise plants.
Making them able to tolerate of periods of dry and heat so well, as long as a deep drink comes their way in time.
But good drainage is essential, as befits their origins as desert plants from Mexico and the wild west of North America.
These native origins also make them tolerant of poor, sandy, and rocky soils or gravel gardens, as well as making them extremely frost hardy.
So Gaillardia can withstand severe frost to well below -10C if needed.
The sheets of bright colour are very forgiving about pH, tolerating both acid or alkaline lime soils.
Easy going & low maintenance
Gaillardias are rarely if ever plagued by pests and diseases.
Plus the only maintenance attention they need is a tidy up with the secateurs after their long and enthusiastic blooming.
Bees, butterflies and garden visitors adore them, but rabbits and deer are not so attracted.
Where to use in the garden
Use Gaillardia anywhere you would like sheets of lovely colour in the Sun.
Enthusiastically flowering ground-covers can be made by planting multiple plants. Allow about 40cm. between each.
Growing: Gaillardia x grandiflora ‘Mesa Red’
– Height with flowers: 40cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun, although they can tolerate Partial Shade in very hot, dry districts.
– Soil: Well Drained. Tolerates dry conditions well as they are native to desert areas. They are also very forgiving about pH, tolerating both acid or alkaline lime soils.
– Frost: Frost hardy, even in hard frosts to to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen perennial that can be used as a long blooming ground-cover.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees and butterflies adore Gaillardia, because they are so long blooming. Thus they are a very reliable, long lasting food source for them. So the Royal Horticultural Society feature Gaillardia high on their “Perfect for Pollinators List”.
– Care: Very hardy and easy care, plus little to no maintenance required.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Though not immune, Gaillardia are not high on their menu choices.
– Origin: Gaillardia x grandiflora are a recent hybrid carefully bred by crossing two wild flowers to obtain the best features of both parents. Thus cross breeding has given them exceptionally long blooming and rugged hardiness. Happily both parents were native to hot, and at times arid, areas in Mexico and North America. So the cross has worked perfectly to make ‘Mesa Red’ an award winner