Disporum cantoniense CHINESE FAIRY BELLS –
Deep shade interest
Native of China. This striking plant unfurls in spring into a multi-branched clump, topped in late spring with dazzling, white green, bell-like flowers. Disporum cantoniense CHINESE FAIRY BELLS likes it consistently moist but well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Plants will slowly spread over time. Height 60cm.
Better with age
The white bells of this Disporum become more showy as the clump matures. Striking variegated foliage takes on pink purple tones in cooler weather, excellent for woodlands or shaded borders.
– Height with flowers: 60cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Performs well in a woodland setting, dappled sun or deep shade position.
– Soil: Best grown in a humus rich soil with some moisture.
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Hardy.
– Growth: Rhizomatous Perennial.
– Attracts: The blossoms attract bees and other pollinators.
– Care: Best cleaned up in early spring before it resumes active growth for the season.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Disporum is not first choice for such pests.
– Origin: Native to forests and woodlands from Nepal to central-southern China south into Myanmar, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam.