Centranthus ruber ‘Albus’
(also known as Kiss-Me-Quick; Pretty Betsy; Keys to Heaven; False Valerian; Spur Valerian; Fox’s Brush, White Devil’s Beard, Jupiter’s Beard….. and the list goes on….. But what it aint is actual Valerian)
Tough but elegant old favourite
White Valerian is an old time favourite that is “forget-about-it-easy”, even in hard conditions.
So Centranthus ruber ‘Albus’ WHITE VALERIAN is eternally beloved by low maintenance gardeners.
They love it firstly for a non-stop procession of elegant white, sweetly scented heads of blooms; and secondly for unkillable toughness.
The non stop clusters of fine white flowers are produced through spring, summer and into autumn.
Soft, fleshy, blue green leaves just add to the elegant, cool look.
But Valerian it ain’t
But do not mistake this plant for the herbal Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) which is commonly used for calming teas and commercial production of anxiety medication.
Centranthus ruber ‘Albus’ WHITE VALERIAN is not edible.
As tough as they come
White Valerian has to be one of the easiest ever plants to grow.
Because it wont blink in a wide range of positions, from Full Sun to 1/2 Shade.
It is not a scrap fussy about soil.
Plus Centranthus ruber ‘Albus’ WHITE VALERIAN is dry hardy; heat hardy; frost hardy; and great for coastal gardens.
Then to top it all off, White Valerian makes a beautiful and fragrant cut flower.
– Height with flowers: 60cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Full sun or 1/2 Shade. Equally happy and hardy in either position, or anywhere in between.
– Soil: Very adaptive to all sorts of soil, as long as it isn’t too wet and drains well. Very tolerant of dry conditions and poor, infertile or sandy soils. Relishes lime and thrives in alkaline lime soils, but will also tolerate soils on the acid side of neutral. Happy in seaside locations where it has quite a degree of tolerance to wind blown salt.
– Frost: Very frost hardy, including in hard frosts to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen perennial. Will also self seed (though seedlings may not come true to colour).
– Fragrance: Sweetly scented flowers.
– Beneficial for wildlife: Another pollinator friendly plant, attracting bees and other beneficial insects to the garden.
– Care: Absolutely no fuss, forget about it, totally easy to grow. Low to no maintenance. The only thing you could do is deadhead to promote even more blooms.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Known to be a good rabbit and deer resistant plant because they don’t like the taste.
– Origin: A native of the Mediterranean region in countries such as Greece, Spain and Italy. So it is naturally adapted for places with hot, dry summers and cold frosty winters.
– Beware: This is not edible and should not be used for herbal treatments.