Centaurea ‘Silver Fountain’
Fabulous silver foliage of fine, delicately cut leaflets like frost crystals. Topped fetchingly by rose pink starry flowers. But don’t let the lacy look fool you, this is a rugged toughie that can hang in when the going gets hot or dry. Centaurea ‘Silver Fountain’ is simply silver mounds of foliage topped by beautiful, starry blooms.
Growing: Centaurea ‘Silver Fountain’
– Height with flowers: 90cm approx.
– Width: 70cm approx.
– Position: Partial Shade is preferred, particularly in hot areas. However it will also thrive in Full Sun if the soil is retentive or the district is cooler.
– Soil: Tolerant of a range of soils, varying from light sand to heavy clay but must be well drained
– Frost: Very frost hardy, and able to withstand severe frosts to well below -10C.
– Growth: Evergreen perennial clump.
Other garden benefits
– Beneficial for wildlife: Bees and also other beneficial pollinators.
– Care: Easy, Low care plant requiring very little maintenance. You can tidy off spent flower stems if you are looking for something to do, but it is not essential. Otherwise they are care free.
Water: Normal average garden water is sufficient, and this is a hardy plant that can withstand variations and even more difficult periods of heat and dry.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Nibbling pests do not enjoy the texture of Centaurea foliage, and it is even listed by Washington State University as a deer resistant plant.
– Fragrance: Sadly none, but other good qualities make you forgive this misdemeanour.
– Origin: C