Caryopteris x clandonensis ‘Summer Sorbet’
A recently released “Bluebeard” variety.
And Caryopteris x clandonensis ‘Summer Sorbet’ was well worth the effort.
Because it provides long lasting interest with its gold and green variegated foliage.
Plus the normal lovely deep, rich indigo-blue flowers in summer and autumn.
It is also a more compact grower than than its parent.
Growing: Caryopteris x clandonensis ‘Summer Sorbet’
WHITE EDGED BLUEBEARD
– Height with flowers: 45cm approx. ‘Summer Sorbet’ is a very compact growing variety.
– Width: Rounded, compact shrub to a diameter of 40cm. approx.
– Position: Full Sun to Partial Shade. And Caryopteris really is a very un-fussy plant.
– Soil: Caryopteris enjoy well drained soil and they can tolerate periods of dry or limited water well. However they do not enjoy waterlogged or very heavy clay soils.
So soils from sandy, gravel. stony to garden loam, are all acceptable.
Plus soil pH on either the acid or alkaline lime side of neutral is also acceptable.
Easy low care
– Water-wise: Caryopteris are recommended for water-conscious gardeners. So normal, average garden watering keeps them very happy, because they are not particularly thirsty plants.
– Frost: Caryopteris are very frost hardy, as they are able to withstand frosts down to -20C approx.
– Growth: Hardy deciduous shrub
– Care: An easy and low care option. Although stems should be cut back hard every year or two when the plant is deciduous in winter. And this will renew the growth for better flowering. As well as help keep the shrub compact and strong.
– Fragrance: Because the foliage is aromatic too, so the whole bush id a treat.
– Beneficial for wildlife: The sweet flowers are magnets for bees, butterflies, and other valuable pollinators. Because the mass of blooms is rich in nectar and pollen.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: It is left alone by nibbling pests because they do not like the aromatic foliage.