Campanula raddeana ‘Nodding Thimbles’
Sprays of nodding violet-blue thimbles on 25cm. stems. Attractive evergreen thick mat of groundcover foliage that carpets out weeds & looks great right through winter. Campanula raddeana ‘Nodding Thimbles’ ideal in a border where you can let the flower sprays drape an edge. Enjoys Partial Shade, Deep Shade and also Sun. Frost hardy and attractive fresh foliage in winter.
Growing: Campanula raddeana ‘Nodding Thimbles’
– Height with flowers: 25cm approx.
– Width: 40cm approx.
– Position: Full Sun as well as Partial Shade.
– Soil: Best in slightly alkaline, fertile but well-drained soil. However they will tolerate a range of soil conditions especially once established.
– Fragrance: –
– Frost: Hardy
– Growth: Evergreen Perennial
– Attracts: Bees, birds and also other beneficial pollinators.
– Care: Easy and low maintenance. Apply a slow release fertilizer in early Spring for best growth and flowering. Additionally just a tidy up of old growth and blooms. Cutting back hard after the first flush of flowers are spent, may force campanula into a second period of bud and flower production.
– Deer & Rabbit resistant: Not first choice for these pests but if there isn’t anything else to eat they may have a bite.
– Origin: The species is native to the North Temperate Zone of Eurasia, extending from Britain to Japan. It is also present through most of Europe, except the extreme North, and has also naturalized in North America.